Boy Scout Leader Basic Training
As a Boy Scout leader and a mentor for the youth in our community, you will find Scouting to be a fun and exciting program for you and your Scouts. The training program of the Boy Scouts of America will provide you with all the basic tools needed to be successful in your leadership position, along with continual opportunities to refine your skills, as you become comfortable in delivering a quality Boy Scout program.
Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters are considered trained and eligible to wear the official emblem once they have completed:
1. Youth Protection training 2. Scoutmaster & Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific training 3. Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) for Scoutmasters & Assistant Scoutmasters
1. Youth Protection training 2. Troop Committee Challenge
Troop Committee Members are considered trained and eligible to wear the official Trained emblem once they have completed:
Youth Protection Training (YPT) is mandatory for any person looking to become a registered leader in Scouting or for any volunteer who participates in an outing lasting longer than 72 hours. For new leaders, YPT training must be completed before registering. YPT must be retaken every two years to maintain registration.
In February, 2018, the BSA rolled out an updated youth protection training for staff, leaders, and volunteers. The new YPT contains three mandatory modules - overview and policies, sexual abuse and bullying. Additional modules will be rolled out during 2018 to provide leaders information on recognizing and preventing other types of child abuse. With the roll out of the new YPT policy, all currently registered leaders must complete the new training by October 1, 2018 in order to re-register. Don't wait to renew you training!
Click here for important information on the updated YPT training.
YPT is designed to keep our youth safe from abuse. Participants learn the Boy Scouts of America's Youth Protection guidelines, signs of abuse, and how to report suspected abuse. Every registered leader must take Youth Protection training online. A login is required, but anyone may create a user account and view the courses. Registered members of the BSA may provide their member numbers (as part of the user profile) to receive credit.
Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Basic Training provides troop leadership with the information and tools they need to lead successful Boy Scout troops.
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) provides adult leaders the practical outdoor skills they need to lead Scouts in the out-of-doors. Upon completion, leaders should feel comfortable teaching Scouts the basic skills required to obtain the First Class rank. Fifth grade Webelos leaders are encourage to take this course.
Troop Committee Challenge helps troop committees work as a team to improve the Scouting experience, helps build the commitment of individual members and cultivates a better troop committee team. This online course focuses on the core beliefs, aims, and methods of Scouting. Specifically, it helps each committee member learn and identify his or her role and responsibilities in support of the adult leaders in the unit, to provide a quality troop experience for the Scouts.
Participating in supplemental and advanced training is a great way to keep your basic leadership skills fined tuned, and provides an opportunity to gather new ideas from other experienced Boy Scout Leaders.
- Boy Scout Roundtable - conducted monthly in each district.
- Safety Trainings - Hazardous Weather, Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, Climb on Safely and Trek Safely are offered online.
- This is Scouting provides an overview of the Scouting organization, including history, values, programs, Youth Protection, community involvement, and training. The module consists of six video sections, each followed by a brief quiz online.
- University of Scouting is a one-day supplemental training offered to allow leaders to enhance and improve the program quality that they deliver, and to have a positive impact on youth. Leaders can choose from a wide variety of classes.
- Wood Badge is advanced leadership training.